Video games are certainly fascinating for children and teenagers. They stimulate and challenge their abilities. But they can also be addictive.
My son does not want to leave video games. That is the desperate cry of more and more mothers and fathers who can not get their children off the computer and lead a normal life.
The discussions between parents and children for the time that is spent on the computer has become a daily routine. At the same time, the number of children and adolescents addicted to video games is increasing.
Like all addictions, he needs psychological treatment. However, as parents, we can notice some signs to detect if our child is not able or does not want to leave the video games. So, we can take action before the situation gets out of hand.
Video games for children: are they safe?
Roblox, the video game platform for children and teenagers in fashion, starred in a story that went viral. In one of the games, the avatar of a 7-year-old girl was raped by two other users.
The platform allows users to create games and virtual worlds. In addition, it guarantees that it has strict filters to protect children and adolescents who play around the world.
However, they recognize the creator of the game that in the case of the violation was able to circumvent the security systems.
The girl’s mother, Amber Petersen, told Facebook, that one morning she saw her little girl in shock as she looked at the screen. As he approached he saw the female character of his daughter being raped. Despite the disgust and remorse he felt, he managed to make the screenshots necessary to make the immediate complaint.
The platform, which has 40 million games online, is the favorite of more than 60 million children and teenagers who play actively. Although it is recognized for its security, it was evident that in the Internet games nothing is 100% safe.
Effects of video games on children
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children should not play more than two hours a day to video games starting at age 6. In fact, playing video games without exceeding can bring benefits in several ways.
The important thing is that the time that is dedicated to them should not take up time that is invested in physical activity or rest and sleep.
However, the problem begins when there is a lack of control of the impulse. In this case, they could have psychological consequences.
The neural patterns shown by video game addicts indicate that there is an imbalance in the brain reward system. Which is not very different from other addictive disorders.
Also, in cases where there is a sustained exposure to the violent content of some video games, desensitization processes can be triggered. These processes affect regions of the brain linked to the control of emotions and the processes of attention and concentration. You also learns some tips and tricks how to set up your home WiFi router?
The responsibility of parents
The children of the 21st century live surrounded by technology. This is an indisputable reality.
However, this does not justify that we can not control at what age our children access the different electronic devices. We should also worry about what content they consume and how many hours they invest in front of the screen.
And, how can we be surprised that they develop an addiction? If from ever younger ages they use smartphones or tablets. If every day a growing number of hours are stuck to the screen, jumping from one game to another, without knowing what kind of games they play. Thus, it is not unusual that they do not want to leave video games.
We parents are responsible for preventing the pleasure of video games from getting out of control and affecting the normal life of children and adolescents. Since they have the first device in their hands, we have to be able to establish clear and firm rules. These should cover aspects such as: how and how much technology is used and what type of content is authorized.
However, it is not only about giving rules and supervising, but you also have to set a good example. Let’s check if each time our son needs to tell us something or wants to play with us, he finds us absorbed in front of the computer screen or the mobile phone. The rules will not work if they are not accompanied by a good example.
When your child does not want to leave the video games may appear one of the following signs. Then, it is time to take action before the situation escapes your control and put at risk the stability of your child.
- It shows an unusual concern for the game when it is far from the console or the computer. Just talk about the game.
- When you are not playing you have mood swings, discouragement, aggression, sadness or you are on the defensive.
- Each time he spends more time in the need to play.
- Loses interest in playing with other children, in their hobbies or in relating to friends. It is isolated.
- When you try to stop or reduce the time you spend on video games, you can not.
- He does not recognize or lie about the hours he spends playing.
- It is capable of not sleeping, not eating or not to clean up in order to be more minutes before the screen.
- Bad grades and disinterest in studying Playing a few minutes before studying turns into hours of non-stop play.
- Before a difficult moment, your son puts all his energy on the video game. Neither speaks nor wants to discuss. Use the game to escape from
He does not want to leave video games: what do I do?
When a child or adolescent does not want to leave video games, you have to take some measures for their welfare.
However, keep in mind that discussions or impositions do not have to be more effective than a mutual agreement. Negotiation should be the tool to establish clear limits and norms. In addition, these should be asserted with love and firmness.
- Take the console or the computer out of the It must be located in a common space that you can supervise.
- The time for the video game comes after having fulfilled their homework and responsibilities at home.
- Agree with your child how many hours of video games you will have per You can start with a looser period that you will gradually reduce little by little.
- Let him know that he has 15 minutes left to play, then 10 minutes and only 5 minutes, so he will not be surprised by the end of the agreed period.
- Teach him how to save the games. For a child who has made a great effort to move from one level to another, it is difficult to leave the game.
- Restricts the use of games not according to their age or with a high content of
- Encourages other activities to replace the time spent on the video You can encourage him to practice sports or artistic or social activities that allow him to interact with children or adolescents of his age.
- Implements family Share game time with your children, from a video game or board game, to go out to play in a park.
- Establish with your child what are the sanctions that apply when you fail to comply with any of the agreements. It can be one hour less of the game or a day without playing. Be firm when you need to apply the
If after having agreed on the formula to control the time in front of the video game, notes that it can not be controlled, maybe you are facing an addiction. The best thing you can do is seek the support of a specialist.
A child or adolescent who does not want to leave video games is exposed to serious consequences. These can affect both your physical, emotional and mental health. As parents, we must help them overcome this problem. Let’s not doubt: your safety depends on the proper supervision of the parents.