Snoring is a low-frequency rattling sound that occurs due to the weakening of the muscles of the pharynx and soft palate. Thus, for some reasons, some people have a weakening during sleep and, as a result, a retraction of the soft tissues of the pharynx and oropharynx. As a result, the jet of inhaled air cannot pass through the airways. Thus, snoring is formed.
Why do we snore?
Basically, this cause affects children and adolescents. Adenoids are called lymphoid tissue growths that form the nasopharyngeal tonsil. Lymphoid tissue can grow for a variety of reasons, but most often it is infectious and allergic factors. Much less common are autoimmune diseases, in which adenoids also increase.
Expanding, the lymphoid tissue fills the lumen of the oropharynx with its volume, thereby narrowing its cavity. However, during sleep, in view of the physiological relaxation of the muscles of the pharynx, the throat narrows. Therefore, when the child is sleeping, the inhaled air hardly passes, causing oscillations of the muscles of the soft palate and uvula. The relaxed muscles of the pharynx vibrate, making a sound that is interpreted as snoring.
Adenoids are accompanied not only by snoring, but also by such symptoms as noisy breathing, coughing, and difficulty in nasal breathing.
· Nasal septum deviation
It is also a fairly common cause of snoring. With this anatomical defect, the nasal passages are often laid, which is accompanied by their partial blockage. At the same time, the air, passing through them, makes additional efforts to get through. This is also accompanied by oscillation of the walls of the nasopharynx and oropharynx.
· Extended uvula and elongated soft palate
The uvula is called the appendix of the soft palate, which hangs down upon entering the cavity of the pharynx. The long uvula and soft palate can significantly narrow the nasopharynx and oropharynx (that is, the passage from the nose to the larynx). Thus, a long uvula and a long soft palate create an obstacle to the passage of air through narrowed paths, which causes snoring. Very often, this anomaly is accompanied by weakness of the muscles of the soft palate. At the same time, relaxation and muscle rattling during sleep are only aggravated.
· Hypertrophied tonsils
Hypertrophy or an increase in the tonsils is not uncommon among children and adolescents. Palatine tonsils can be exaggerated for various reasons, but most often due to frequent bacterial infections. When the tonsils increase, they fill the lumen of the oropharynx with their volume. There are cases when the tonsils are so enlarged that the opening of the pharynx is almost completely narrowed, and only a small gap remains in its place. The first place in these children is difficulty breathing. Breathing becomes difficult, and the voice becomes nasal. In conversation with such children, heavy and frequent breathing, a parted mouth draws attention to themselves. Air, passing through the narrowed upper respiratory tract (nose, nasopharynx), makes great efforts. At the same time, it causes fluctuations in the muscles of the pharynx, causing their fluctuations. In this way,
· Age restructuring of the body
Age-related changes in the body include an age-related reduction in pharyngeal muscle tone, overweight, and chronic respiratory tract infections. Over time, the muscles of the whole organism, and not only the pharynx, weaken and lose their tone. As a result, when a person assumes a horizontal position (including when he sleeps), the muscles begin to sag. When the air begins to pass from the nasal cavity to the larynx, it vibrates the soft palate and uvula. This also contributes to the bad habits of man. So, risk factors include smoking and alcohol abuse. This happens because nicotine and ethanol have a relaxing effect on the muscles. This is confirmed by the fact that drunken people often snore.
Today, overweight is one of the main health problems. It is noted that people suffering from obesity snore five times more often than with normal weight. This is explained by the fact that body fat exerts pressure on the respiratory tract, thereby narrowing it.
Thus, there are many reasons that are involved in the formation of snoring. Most often there are several reasons simultaneously. The timbre and height of snoring depend on the individuality of each organism, and not only on the severity of the pathology. The volume of the snoring depends on the pitch of the voice. It is known that snoring can reach a volume of 100 – 110 decibels. In order to understand how loud it is, it is enough to know that the average loudness of a conversation reaches 50 decibels, and the jet plane makes a sound at 140 decibels. The pain threshold for the ear is 120 decibels. This means that snoring near a sleeping person can cause rather unpleasant sensations.
Danger of Snoring
We not only interfere with sleep at home but also do not sleep well or suffer from insomnia. We do not get enough sleep, and in the afternoon we feel overwhelmed and constantly tired. This happens because during sleep we experience frequent sleep interruptions and the brain cannot fully relax. Stop breathing in a dream – apnea. Dangerous snoring companion. You will not confuse him with anything: measured breathing is suddenly interrupted for a few seconds, sometimes very long, and then follows a deep breath, accompanied by loud snoring. This phenomenon is dangerous due to the fact that with such respiratory arrest the heart rate decreases, the flow of air into the lungs is disturbed, and this can cause extremely serious consequences. After the resumption of breathing, the heart works in a heightened mode until the complete saturation of the blood with oxygen occurs. Well, the main danger of apnea is
How to get rid of snoring in a dream
For a start, a woman, as always advised, and not only in the treatment of snoring, make some changes in life. More precisely – in a way of life: to lose weight, not to drink alcohol, to choose the position of the body correctly. If this does not help, then use medication or folk remedies for treating snoring.
Drug treatment for snoring:
In some cases of strong snoring, surgical intervention is indicated. The operation is done quickly. Parts of the soft tissue are reduced in the nasopharynx, which blocked the airways. Now, with the development of medicine, most often perform operations with laser or radio waves. Allowing a girl to stop snoring forever. When treating snoring with medicines, first of all, they use medicines that eliminate the causes of snoring of inflammatory and catarrhal origin.
- At the heart of the product is a hormonal substance of local action called mometasone. It relieves inflammation and swelling of the nasal mucosa, facilitating breathing. The aerosol is primarily intended for the treatment of snoring caused by allergic rhinitis.
- The solution for inhalation or tablets under this name contain a number of herbal ingredients: ephedra, belladonna, Dubrovnik, etc. The medicine improves the tone of the muscles of the pharynx during sleep and has some anti-inflammatory effect, which can help reduce snoring.
- This emollient (contains glycerin and polysorbate), which reduces the dryness of the mucous membranes and prevents them from sticking together while passing through the airways of the air stream. Can be used by pregnant women and children.
- Snore – anti-inflammatory, anti-edematous spray, softening the effect. Contains a mixture of vegetable oils, lecithin, vitamins, comes with additives in the form of sage and eucalyptus.
- The drug has almost the same effect as the previous remedy, it includes essential oils of lavender, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and other components. The taste of this spray is more pleasant than other drugs, but, alas, it does not exceed them in effectiveness.
Ways to get rid of snoring at home
In addition to these modern tools, you can get rid of snoring folk remedies!
- Washing the nose with sea salt. To prepare the solution, you need to take 1 cup of pure water and stir in it 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Such water procedures must be done in the morning and evening.
- Instill nose at bedtime with sea buckthorn oil (2-3 drops in each nostril).
- A mixture of cabbage juice and honey. To do this, a glass of juice take 1 tablespoon of honey. This tool to drink before bedtime. It is effective not only when snoring but also strengthens the immune system.
- Eat baked carrots before bedtime. Root vegetables should be baked in the oven for 15-20 minutes at a temperature of 180 ºС.
- Fasting day. Sometimes snoring can cause indigestion. It is useful to fast 1 time a week: drink only water or apple juice.
- Gargle with a herbal solution. To do this, take 1 teaspoon of ground flowers of calendula and oak bark. Pour the herbs with boiling water, cool and rinse after dinner. The herbal solution will soften the throat mucosa.
First of all, I want to say that in order to get rid of snoring, the exercises should be done regularly, for at least a month, and otherwise, there is no point in them. So have patience. It is best to perform before bedtime, but if you do them twice a day, you will achieve the effect much faster.
- Pull the tongue forward and down, as far as possible, with tension. Remember how in childhood we teased? So feel like a child. Hold for a few seconds and put the tongue back. This exercise strengthens the muscles of the tongue.
- Press the chin with your hand. Pull the jaw forward and back, palm resisting when moving forward. Perform this exercise 20 times.
- Take a wooden stick and clamp it with your teeth, try to hold for 3 – 4 minutes with effort.
- Open your mouth (not wide), make circular movements of the lower jaw: 10 times clockwise. And 10 – against.
- Press hard with your tongue on the upper sky for a minute. Rest for 30 seconds and do the exercise again. The muscles of the upper palate are strengthened.
- Starting position: the mouth is closed, breathing through the nose. Take the root of the tongue back to the throat and return to the starting position. Do the exercise 30 times, slowly. It will be great if, having rested for 30 seconds, you will do this exercise completely again (or you can do it in three approaches).
- Say a chant vowel sounds “U”, “And”, while straining the muscles of the neck (20-25 times).
- Full breath. The inhale begins with an expansion (bulging) first of the lower abdomen, then the middle one and gradually passes into the chest. Pay attention to the movement of the anterior abdominal wall: inhale – it rises, exhale – retracts. Breathe slowly, gradually increasing the duration. Run 5 – 6 times.
By the way, it has long been known that singers do not snore, singing and playing wind instruments too – this is also a good exercise for strengthening all these muscles, so if there is a problem – sing loudly and with pleasure. And whistle! During the walk – this is quite appropriate! And if you are not afraid of a famous omen, then whistle at home.
And finally, advice for those who sleep next to the “snorer” and suffers greatly from this. Buy at the pharmacy “earplugs” – a proven tool, and sleep like a baby, now you will not interfere.